Write a Compelling Book Proposal 101: The How-To of Presenting your Nonfiction Book
A 6-Week Book Proposal Writing Class
Join New York Times Best-Selling authors, Tembi Locke (From Scratch) and Claire Bidwell Smith (The Rules of Inheritance, After This: When Life Is Over Where Do We Go?, and Anxiety: The Missing Stage of Grief) for a live online course on nonfiction book proposal writing for individuals at any level.
There has never been a better time to work on a book proposal!
Tembi and Claire created this 6-week course to share what they have learned through writing and publishing their books. The goal is to help you jumpstart, further or complete your own book proposals. This course is for beginners and more experienced writers.
You can be brand new to book proposal writing or already have a complete proposal in hand. We will cover the full spectrum of this process, and leave you feeling confident to take your proposal to an agent! We will cover everything from structure and writing a compelling author bio, to sample chapters, query letters and how to query an agent.
This session will also include FOUR special guest instructors: Christine Pride, Adrienne Brodeur, Wendy Sherman and Jennifer Tracy.
Christine is a writer, editor and 15-year publishing veteran, working as an in-house editor at various Big Five imprints, including Doubleday, Broadway, Crown, Hyperion, and, most recently, as a Senior Editor at Simon and Schuster. Christine has also worked independently, contracting with publishers, agents and writers for editorial work, content development and ghostwriting. She will bring an immense amount of value to this course with real world advice on what an editor looks for in a book proposal. (Fun Fact: Christine was Tembi's editor for From Scratch!)
Adrienne is the author of award winning memoir, Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover and Me (Amazon’s #1 Best Memoir of 2019, People 10 Best Books of 2019, Real Simple Best Books of 2019). Adrienne has spent the past two decades of her professional life in the literary world, discovering voices, cultivating talent, and working to amplify underrepresented writers. She is now the Executive Director of Aspen Words, a literary arts nonprofit and program of the Aspen Institute.
Wendy has been in publishing more years than she cares to admit. She has held senior, executive positions at Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, and Henry Holt. During her time at these major publishing houses, she worked in the areas of subsidiary rights, marketing, sales, and editorial. With a desire to work more closely with writers and help develop their careers, she founded Wendy Sherman Associates Literary Management in 1999. Wendy is on the Board of Directors of the Association of Authors Representatives (AAR) and a member of The Women’s Media Group. (Fun Fact: Wendy was Claire's literary agent!)
Jennifer is a veteran writer, producer, and content creator. She received her degree in Screenwriting from Boston University, and also studied cinema in specialized programs in Australia and France before moving to Los Angeles. Working in TV and films for 30 years has deepened her skill set, as well as 10 years of conservatory-level improv performance, writing scripts for TV and film, self-publishing a series of novellas on Amazon and more recently finishing her first novel.
Topics covered during the course:
- What is a book proposal? (Going over all the basic components)
- Author bios and comp titles
- Publicity and promotion section
- Chapter Outlines
- Sample Chapters
- Query letters and querying an agent
This 6-week course runs from
April 18th - May 23rd!
During the course you will receive:
- Six 1-hour live teaching calls with Tembi and Claire on Saturday mornings, 8am PST/ 11am EST (replay recording will be provided)
- One live teaching call will include special guest Christine Pride, writer, editor and 15-year publishing veteran
- One live teaching call will include special guest Adrienne Brodeur, author of award winning memoir, Wild Game and Executive Director of Aspen Words
- One live teaching call will include special guest Wendy Sherman, publishing veteran and founder of Wendy Sherman Associates Literary Management
- One live teaching call will include special guest Jennifer Tracy, veteran writer, producer, and content creator
- Live Q&A opportunity at the end of each call—you’ll have the chance to speak with Claire and Tembi one-on-one (and Christine and Adrienne on their call dates)
- Weekly assignments that align with the topics covered during the Saturday calls to propel your book proposal forward
- Mid-week check-in discussion posts to help you stay on track and connect with your fellow students
- Private Online Classroom with discussion space, call replays, and course materials