Telling the Story of Loss (February 2020)
A 6-Week Online Memoir Writing Class
Join New York Times Best-Selling authors, Tembi Locke (From Scratch) and Claire Bidwell Smith (The Rules of Inheritance, After This: When Life Is Over Where Do We Go?, and Anxiety: The Missing Stage of Grief) for a live online course on memoir-writing for individuals experiencing grief and loss.
This focus has been the cornerstone of Tembi and Claire’s work and they created this 6-week course to share what they have learned through writing and publishing. The goal is to help you jumpstart, further or complete your own projects. This course is for beginners and more experienced writers.
This session will also include two special guest memoirists: Kelle Hampton, NYT Best-Selling author of Bloom, and Sunita Puri, Palliative Care Physician and author of That Good Night.
Writing about grief is one of the most powerful ways to explore your loss and find ways to heal. You can be brand new to writing or ready to finish and publish a book. We will cover the full spectrum of what it means to dive in and explore your story, in a safe, compassionate, and nurturing environment. We will cover everything from structure and narrative to self-care while moving through grief-writing, to the publishing industry and how to find an agent.
Topics covered during the course:
- What makes up a memoir, and how do you begin to carve out your story?
- Enriching and unearthing memory
- Harnessing language and structure (with Sunita Puri)
- Writing about the people in your life (today and those who have transitioned)
- Writing through trauma and embracing catharsis (with Kelle Hampton)
- Road to Publishing (ins and outs of taking your work out into the world) and overall inspiration to see your book through
This 6-week course runs from
February 29th - April 4th!
During the course you will receive:
- Six 1-hour live teaching calls with Tembi and Claire on Saturday mornings, 8am PST/ 11am EST (replay recording will be provided)
- One 1-hour live teaching call will include special guest Kelle Hampton, author of NYT Best-Selling Memoir Bloom
- One 1-hour live teaching call will include special guest Sunita Puri, Palliative Care Physician and author of That Good Night
- Live Q&A opportunity at the end of each call—you’ll have the chance to speak with Claire and Tembi one-on-one (and Kelle and Sunita on their call dates)
- Weekly assignments that align with the topics covered during the Saturday calls to propel your writing project forward
- Mid-week check-in discussion posts to help you stay on track and connect with your fellow students
- Private Online Classroom with discussion space, call replays, and course materials